Wednesday, December 12, 2007

An Unnamed Talk Radio Host

Today, as I was driving back from Albuquerque (I was gone four hours for a 1/2 hour orthodontist visit), I was listening to a talk show and I was so surprised at how differently I think than I did about five years ago. I was in such disagreement with the words of the host. I didn't really disagree with a whole lot of the content but with his acceptance of only those who agreed with him. I kept hearing callers say, "You're a great American, God bless you." If I called in and didn't agree with the host I am sure I wouldn't get a "God bless you"! Do we have to believe a certain way to be called a great American and to be blessed by God?
What makes a great American? Maybe it is someone who is going "against the flow" of what Christians normally think a great American is. Maybe it is the soldier in Iraq or, better yet, my Moslem doctor.

I think maybe it is someone who is really willing to give up personal rights and freedoms for the good of someone else. If that is a great American, than I think a lot of the people characterized nowdays as "great Americans" couldn't be termed that any longer. They are willing to fight for freedom (or having others fight for them) but are they willing to give up the right to tear down another person because of political disagreement?

It is so relieving to know that I don't have the answers and I don't have to give them.

1 comment:

Misty said...

You're a great American,Dawn. I truly believe that. You know... There are not many people out "there" in this tiny little world who one can call a TRUE friend, but I count you among my blessings, my friend, my companion on this journey to remain faithful to the end. Thanks for being so sweet, even when you tell me I look sickly. Heehee. BTW Dr. says I'm now going hypo. SHEESH. Can't I get a break around here. Thanks for the links too.