Tuesday, September 30, 2008

About Marriage and Tunnels--Jemez Springs, NM






I love marriage and I would suggest it as a great alternative to TV and premarital sex. Being married is so much fun--where else can you make fun of someone and know that they will return the favor with no hard feelings?

The other day, Bryan and I were driving to a funeral he was doing in the Jemez. He drove one of the family's members while I followed him in our car. The scenery was amazing. At one point I drove through two tunnels, wishing I could snap some pictures. After the funeral, Bryan drove us back out and we came up to the first tunnel. I took a picture through the bug spattered window and said, "That is a bad picture," to which Bryan replied, "Don't worry there is another one."

Now, I don't know if he had forgotten I was driving and thought I was asleep but that was a pretty funny statement and couldn't resist a little sarcasm. I said that I hadn't noticed the other tunnel and could he please point it out to me. He was astounded that I could drive through a tunnel and not notice. At that point I realized that, after twenty years of marriage, he still didn't know me very well. It is so fun to be utterly sarcastic and have him fall for it almost every time.



Jemez Springs really is an amazing place. I wish we hadn't been there for a funeral but it was still a beautiful day and a beautiful place. Bryan brought comfort to a lot of people and helped some others to see that the church isn't quite as evil as they thought. Thinking about that part of who he is makes me smile. He is a sweet man and only has occasional flare ups of arrogance. (Unfortunately for him, most of his flare ups occur in front of Bryanna or someone else who is sure to guffaw, chortle, and snort at his pride. The only time he gets away with it is when he is with his mother or sister and they both think he can do no wrong.) Really, I married a guy who cleans up kid barf, changes tires, can build anything, has a compassion for the down and outers, loves everyone (except for the guy driving slow in the fast lane), makes me laugh, and most of all, loves Jesus with everything he is. He can catch a fish, clean it, and not get grouchy when I outfish him. He is also mostly patient when I can't get the computer to work and he is willing to let me embarrass him on a regular basis. I also happen to think he is very handsome! Maybe marriage isn't just about being married but who you marry.





1 comment:

Misty said...

It's so beautiful up there. When we camped up there earlier this year it rained like mad but we were blessed with a beautiful rainbow. Take care sweetie. Happy marriage and all.
Hugs,
Misty